A CLASSROOM MOMENT CREATED A BUSINESS
One school year experience inspired a business. If an entire classroom of kids with varying skill levels can be taught at once then so much more can be done as an entrepreneur.
A BUSINESS INSPIRES MANY
We teach music not because we expect your child to major in music or be a professional musician. Instead our aim is to develop the amateur artist who enjoys playing music for a lifetime for pleasure.
MEET THE TEAM
We are a small, yet mighty team of musicians that's driven to offer the best music lessons in Austin. Forever ready to bust our musical chops and transform the way your child loves music.
Founder | Principle Director
Jamsheed Pirzada Ahmad graduated from Boston University in 2000 with a B.A in Music Theory and Composition. After leaving Boston, he returned to his hometown of Cleveland, OH and studied piano with James Tannenbaum at the Cleveland Institute of Music and Maria Pla at Cleveland State University where he earned his professional teaching certificate in music. Mr. Ahmad has been teaching piano privately for 15 years and was employed as a public school elementary music teacher from 2006-2014 serving both the communities of Orlando, Fl and Austin, TX.
List of accomplishments since starting the Franklin Music Academy:
- In 2010, J.P. and his wife, Shani, founded the Franklin Music Academy with a handful of students. The Academy quickly grew in size due to both the success of J.P.’s teaching methods and the effectiveness of a completely new K-12 curriculum for both piano and guitar designed and implemented by J.P.
- The Franklin Music Academy ran a pilot program for a summer camp concept in 2015. A curriculum was designed for a one week camp which would give total beginners, ages 7-12 years, a chance to learn some basic skills on three different instruments. The program proved its merit when the campers performed two songs for their parents at the end of the week. The trial was very successful as the camp continues its 4th consecutive summer in 2018 with many return campers.
- In 2017, the Franklin Music Academy caught the attention of the owners of the Montessori school, Parkside Community School, in South Austin. The challenge was presented to teach a guitar curriculum that was educational yet fun to students ranging from 3rd to 6th grade with minimal to beginner skill level. The transition to a creative and fun guitar class has won praises from the kids, staff, and parents.
Co-founder | Business Director
Since 6th grade, Shani has always had a fascination with music and without any coercing from her parents she selected the cello and played in the orchestra until her senior year in high school. Years later, after she graduated from the School of Business at Texas State University, she met her future husband who initially came to Austin to be a rock star.
These 2 kids were inseparable and eventually the rock-star-wanna-be, JP, wanted something more stable; so, he traded his life on-stage to work as a Music Teacher in public schools. Meanwhile, Shani was dabbling in event planning, management, and consulting through employment and outside opportunities. Before the young couple married, JP asked Shani if starting a music school would be a legit business plan.
During their courtship, Shani had observed his skill, determination, and positive energy with his students and approved with no hesitation co-founding the business, Franklin Music Academy. While JP remains the poster boy and Music Director of the business, Shani concentrates on business behind-the-scenes in her role as the Business Director.
Luis Parra is a student at Texas State University majoring in Theatre Performance and Production. Over the last 10 years Mr. Parra has received training in over 10 different instruments and played with several professional ensembles in both Riverside, CA and Austin, TX. He is currently working as youth choir director at Santa Cruz Catholic Church in Buda, TX. Luis Parra currently resides in Austin, TX, where he plays guitar for his band GOOD and runs a theatre company.
Jesse is a third year music teacher with Franklin Music Academy who has a passion for rock! He's a bass player in his band "The Band GOOD", and tours regularly with his bandmates. He juggles teaching and touring with attending Texas State University as a Performance and Production major with an emphasis in writing. Jesse hopes to continue to perform professionally and teach budding musicians like himself.
Parker Johnson graduated from The University of Texas at Austin with a B.A. in Music and Audio Production with an emphasis in Percussion, and a Certificate of Business from McCombs School of Business. Parker has been performing music for 20 years in everything from percussion ensembles and orchestras to drum lines and rock bands. Parker currently owns a music production studio, Adrift Audio, and for the past decade has been applying his passion for music towards studio production and live recording to share musicians talent to the world.
- Studied under Allan Green (jazz/Percussion) - Brian Smith (band) - Drew Lang (collegiate Percussion)
- Various jazz and band camps/seminars at UNT
- Drum section captain 2 years, band and drumline 4 years
- All state UIL solo ensemble
- Composer of band and drumline music
- Composed all original percussion score for theatre UIL competition
- Constructed own production computer
- Recorded in professional studio for original school song alma mater
- Studied under Michael Burritt ( Marimbist/percussion) & Gary Powell (Grammy nominated producer)
- Various UT orchestras and band ensembles
- Percussion ensemble performer at 2012 PASIC convention
- Audio Assistant at Texas Performing Arts
- Interned at various Austin Studios
Alaina Nesby is a junior at Akins High school studying music and composition. She is an intern/Junior Assistant and is learning how to become a teacher at FMA. The kids are very receptive to her during music lessons and she is genuinely interested in each child's progress. She currently plays over 10 instruments and is in the top orchestra and guitar ensembles at school. Alaina likes to perform gigs in more intimate environments and sings cover songs as well as her self-composed original music. She is enrolled in multiple college courses and is excelling academically as well. Recently, Alaina has been featured in the magazine, Inspiring Teens, for her academic achievements and inspirational story. She hopes to pursue the performing arts in college and wants to continue to inspire others.